The first day of spring is March 20…have you started spring cleaning yet? With some Pinterest inspiration, we’ve put together a manageable checklist to take care of spring cleaning!
But first…did you know where “spring cleaning” originated? During cold winters, families used to have to keep their home closed all winter, using coal, oil and wood for heat and light. By the time spring came around, the soot, ashes and wax coated most of the house! With then warm sun out, the families would all contribute to cleaning every inch of the house to welcome spring with a clean house.
Just as you wash your car, start from the top of the house and work your way down. Try setting a couple of goals per week to get everything done in a month!
- Start with the beds. Wash and hang quilts and comforters and flip the mattresses.
- Move on to the lights. Take apart light fixtures and clean all parts, dust all ceiling fans with a vacuum attachment or lint roller.
- Dust the walls (may have to bring out a scrubber for a hairspray-coated bathroom!) and wash light switches, baseboards, molding and door knobs.
- Wash each window, inside and out, along with window screens, blinds and shades.
- Dust, sweep and vacuum each room. (Now you’re halfway there!)
- Have someone help you move the stove, fridge, washing machine and dryer to sweep and scrub under large appliances.
- Clean the inside of the microwave and stove. (Microwave water for a few minutes to make the inside really easy to wipe clean!)
- Use refinishing oil to rub down cabinets and other wood surfaces.
- Mop all tile and hardwood floors. (Don’t stop now…you’re almost there!)
- Fix it up: tighten screws, touch up paint and repair any problems in your home.
Voila! As a bonus, as you move from room to room, find a few things you no longer use or need to donate. Just keep a “donate” box in your home during the cleaning process so you have a place to collect items.
Overwhelmed? Commit to cleaning with a friend to help keep each other on track.
Have any cleaning tips or tricks? Share by commenting!